Hearty Lentil Stew
A hearty lentil stew that is so easy to make, it's a one pot wonder! I used a slow cooker for this but is you don't have one use a medium size casserole dish instead.
Write a review
- 200g puy lentils (don't panic if you can't find puy lentils, you can use Lentilles Vertes instead)
- 1 parsnip
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 courgette
- 100g kale
- 100g sliced greens
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- Handful of fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh chives
- 2 tsp. fresh or dry thyme
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 carton/tin of chopped plum tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the puy lentils in water for about 3-4 hours, then drain and rinse.
- slice the onion and add to your slow cooker or casserole dish along with the lentils.
- Chop the parsnip and sweet potato into approximately 1 inch cubes and add to the pot.
- Slice the courgette and cut the bell pepper into chunks and set aside with the kale and sliced greens (you'll add these to the other ingredients when there is about 15 minutes left on the cooking time.
- Crush the clove of garlic into the pot.
- Chop the chives and add those in along with the bay leaf, thyme, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Empty the carton or tin of chopped tomatoes into the pot then fill the carton with water to the half way mark and add to the pot.
- Give everything a good stir and put your slow cooker on medium heat and set for 2 hours. If you're cooking this in the oven preheat your oven to 180C and set the timer to 1 hour.
- Add the kale, sliced green, courgette, bell pepper and chopped parsley when there is 15 minutes left on the cooking time.
- Test that the lentils are cooked by squeezing a couple between your fingers, if they fall apart it's ready. If they still feel a bit hard cook for a further 10 or 15 minutes.
- This is a substantial meal in itself but I do like to have a bit of warm wholemeal pitta with it to mop up the juices.
Flourish Wellbeing https://flourishwell.co.uk/