Wholesome and comforting, khichri is the Indian version of chicken soup. Khichri means mishmash and you can add any vegetables you have in the fridge to this dish. Enjoy this dish with a serving of natural yogurt and a salad of cucumber and tomatoes.
Write a review
- 2 cups brown basmati rice
- 1 cup split moong dal
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 1 large onion roughly chopped
- 300g baby new potatoes, halved
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen sweet corn
- 2 thumb sizes pieces of ginger, grated
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon and clove powder
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon
- 6 cloves
- 1 tsp. Himalayan Pink salt or sea salt
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
- 1 litre boiling water
- Place the rice, moong dal and chana dal in a sieve and thoroughly rinse.
- Once rinsed place the rice and lentils in a large bowl and soak in cold water for at least 1 hour.
- In a large pan, heat the coconut oil over a medium heat. When it's hot add the cumin seeds, cinnamon stick and cloves and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the onions, grated ginger and cook until the onions start to go translucent.
- Drain and rinse the rice and lentils and add to the pan along with the clove and cinnamon powder and turmeric. Stir until the rice and lentils are well coated with the spices.
- Add 1 pint of boiling water and the salt.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes stir in the potatoes and carrots, put lid bag on and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- When the khichri has been cooking for a total of 40 minutes, add the frozen peas and sweet corn. At this stage if it looks like the khichri is catching at the bottom of the pan, add a bit more water.
- After a further 10 minutes check that the dal and rice is cooked by squeezing a bit between your fingers. If they break up easily it's done. if it still has some bite cook for a bit longer, topping up with boiling water if necessary. The khichri should have absorbed all the water but shouldn't be too dry.
- When it's cooked take the pan of the heat and stir in the chopped coriander.
- If you want to add other vegetables to the khichri such as broccoli, add this at the same time as the peas and sweet corn.
- Serve with natural yogurt and a salad of cucumber and tomatoes.
Flourish Wellbeing https://flourishwell.co.uk/